1980's Quilts

As I said before, my first quilts were log cabin quilts.  I made a large pink and blue log cabin quilt in my class that I later turned into 2 smaller quilts.  What happened to them?  I don't know, but it doesn't matter.    

When I took my class, I was fascinated with the quilting tools and the how things went together if you were precise in cutting and in your seam width!  Rotary cutters and acrylic strips were new at this time.  When we moved to Texas, I did a demonstration for a women's group at church and the older quilters were stunned that it was so easy to cut strips!  I could cut out a quilt in a fraction of the time that it had taken them all of their lives!  If I was using rulers and scissors, my quilts would not have been quite so enjoyable to make.  




This log cabin quilt was made in 1987.  My mother came to Texas when my daughter, Rebecca, was born and we pinned it with safety pins, quilted it on my sewing machine and struggled with the binding and those mitered corners!

While she was in Texas, we also made her first log cabin quilt.  She has made many beautiful quilts as a result of that first log cabin!  This wasn't her first quilt--we spent many hours as children stitching lazy daisy stitches all over the overall and flannel quilts in our basement--but, this was her first pieced quilt.  I take credit for all of the beautiful pieced quilts she has made since that time ;).





The second quilt class I took was an Irish Chain class.  At the time, I didn't understand how wonderful cotton fabrics were to work with.  I went to a local fabric store, not the quilt shop, for fabric for my Irish Chain.  I sat in the mall with graph paper and colored pencils trying to figure out what colors to make my quilt.  I wanted to make something bright, as this was going to be a quilt for my baby that was on the way, Brandon.  I made this Irish Chain for him and now, we use it every night to cover his bird's cage.  I guess it belongs to Olive now.


Comments